Hi Jim: I hear you.

I regrettably don't recall the incident at the SA, but
I do recall feeling very saddened over the death of
Abdullah Simmons this summer in Folwell. People I knew
were dismissive, saying what did Simmons expect, given
the gang that he was hanging out with.

I was saddened because 15-year-old boys think they're
10 feet tall and bulletproof. In some communities,
when a boy makes a mistake the worst thing that
happens is he gets grounded. In other communities,
when a boy makes a mistake he pays with his life.

I think it's a case of the deserving dead vs. the
undeserving dead. Kids like Tyesha Edwards are the
undeserving dead. Kids like Abdullah Simmons and Tycel
Nelson--well, if they're not deserving dead, they're
the unmissed dead.

A letter writer to the Detroit Free Press recently
responded to an article entitled "Another good kid
shot dead." That letter is relevant to Minneapolis as
well.

My heartfelt wishes for a peaceful holiday for all,
especially if there is an empty seat at your table.

Susan Maricle
formerly of Folwell
Bruno MN

>From the Detroit Free Press www.freep.com

'Good' kid? Let's mourn losses equally, and not judge

December 11, 2002

It was with great sadness that I read your Dec. 2
story on Mario Smith, the latest young man killed in
Detroit.

My sadness was twofold.

The event is a tragedy, and should give every one of
us reason to step back to reevaluate how we live our
own lives, and how we treat the people in them. But I
was also deeply disappointed by the headline: "Another
good kid shot dead in Detroit."

Another "good" kid? Why make such a distinction? Is it
easier when kids who are not "good" get shot? Who are
those kids? Why are they bad, and how do they get that
way?

We hear all about the violent crimes individuals
perpetrate against one another, but what about the
systemic crimes perpetrated against many children in
Detroit every day? The children who grow up in
poverty, living in substandard housing or, for that
matter, on the streets, without adequate nutrition,
and attending underfunded schools? The children living
in environments characterized by crime, violence and
abuse?

I would argue that these are the factors that turn
children against themselves and one another, that lead
them to devalue themselves and each other as much as
society devalues them.

The media, and society at large, should challenge the
establishment to ameliorate these conditions before we
begin passing judgment on which kids are "good" and
which are not, which kids are more or less deserving
of being shot in the street.

Any child we lose is a tragedy. Many of them, however,
are lost in spirit long before the bullets claim their
lives.

We should mourn these losses equally and work to
ensure that no more children are taken from us, in
body or in spirit, before their time.

Katherine Root Ann Arbor

>______________________________________--- JIM  GRAHAM
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 In April a poster notified the list that a
fifteen-year-old child had been assassinated at the
Super America on 25th and Bloomington, seemingly in a
gang shooting.  The poster asked for similar
information to the "MPLS Pedestrian killed" post.  NO
ONE responded with any outrage what so ever!

> It was a black child who apparently had been engaged
in drug trafficking, and it was an execution that
occured in a poor neighborhood where such things
apparently are not unexpected.  However it was still a
child and the child of some family.