Here's a post that will have my anti-bureaucracy and landlord friends
chuckling with "I told you so..."

So we're selling our house (anyone want to live in prestigious East
Kingfield?). Part of the selling process is getting a Truth-In-Housing
inspection.

Our abode - lovingly upgraded from the rental property it was when we bought
it - passed with flying colors...except for the dreaded "back-flow
preventer."

These small pieces of shrapnel apparently keep water from flowing into the
city's water system if somehow there is negative pressure. We need three of
them. Two are $5 parts that screw on our exterior hose faucet and the one in
our laundry tub.

The third is a bit more problematic...it goes on the water supply to our
boiler. That means cutting copper pipe, installing the thing, adding a
second shut-off valve...in other words, a plumber and a permit.

Since our plumbing was upgraded three years ago, I asked the inspector what
the deal was. "New requirement as of June 1," he explained. "It's a silly
thing...you'd probably only need one if a car hit the fire hydrant outside
AND your boiler water supply was turned on...then the negative pressure
might suck the water out of your radiators into the city system."

Anyone with a boiler knows how infrequently they add water to their system.
Our water supply has probably been on for a grand total of five minutes in
the 8 years we've owned the house. The odds of negative pressure occurring
WHILE the water supply is on roughly match the chances of winning the
Powerball.

So, my question: why was this requirement added? What was the justification?

As always, I'll accede to superior info, but right now, this looks like one
silly regulation.

David Brauer
King Field