Well I was told I wasn't allowed to fight wit- I mean, respond to Dyna or Vanessa's
posts, but I figured I could sneak this one in while the campaign was out
doorknocking.;-)
And while I appreciate Vanessa's clipnotes of the articles, she left out my favorite
quote:

"I look forward to leading the third ward into a new era of collaboration and
solidarity so that we can become a powerful and singular voice to city hall," said
Samuels. "My commitment to community, my corporate and small business, my technical
and artistic experience, my experience as both single father and family man, as
immigrant and African American have all uniquely prepared me to serve this varied
community with the maturity required to help heal the historic conflicts and promote
prosperity," he said.

I would, therefore have to disagree with the degree of substance vs. rhetoric, Olin
does know the troubles of the ward, but then so does anyone working on either of the
campaigns, or who just happens to read a newspaper.  Don, on the other hand, has
actually been working on the troubles of the ward.  And that, in my mind, is the
difference that Olin mentions it will come down to: Don has been tested by real life
experience, Olin has read about it.

Olin, as Vanessa pointed out, talks about what he will do to help the ward, Don,
however, already has 5 years in the ward actually working on the issues.

Olin says there needs to be more trust between the community and the police, Don has
already been working on this trust with his neighbors and the Police Department.

Olin says he will work on fiscal responsibility and economic development, Don has
already made, balanced and cut budgets, created jobs and met payrolls.

Olin says he will "build bridges" and bring people together, Don is already bringing
people together from diverse backgrounds to work on shared interests and common goals.

I know Olin's been briefed on the ward, I'm just not aware of any real life experience
that is applicable to situation.

I also know Olin's worked for Sabo for nine years, but I'm having a hard time
connecting that specifically to the 3rd Ward.  And by that I mean that in the nine
years he worked his way up from receptionist/intern to constituent services, and to my
knowledge, he wasn't focused on the 3rd Ward, and I'm not aware of anything in that
nine years that was working specifically for or benefitting specifically the 3rd Ward.
 The 5th District is a big place, and I would assume he kept up on the general issues
throughout the district once he worked his way up to constituent services, I'm just
not aware of the direct relevancy or even how much of that experience is actual
outreach.  Couple that with the fact that Federal, State and City politics and
processes are all very different animals, and the experience seems to me to not be as
applicable.

Another important difference in article was that Olin talked about what he would do
but never really about why he was running or who he was.  The only reason really given
was that "he’s deeply concerned about the status of the neighborhood."  Which brings
to mind which neighborhood, and why hasn't he been working to change that status
before now.  Don, on the other hand, talked about the needs of the community, and the
most important of which is for both North and Northeast to have an active voice on the
council.  The campaigns have been talking about the issues that need to be addressed
constantly, I don't think anyone is providing a revelation by stating the obvious in
an article, what I think that any voter needs to know is why one candidate is the best
one to represent the ward.

In fact Olin, never states this.  He talks about what "the next council member" needs
to do or can do, but he never really talks about why it should be him or that it even
should be him.  Don, on the other hand, talks about his committment and his varied
real life experience and why it has prepared him to represent the 3rd ward
specifically, and not just run for an office.

In addition to reading the article, I had the opportunity to see them both at
Lucille's Kitchen on Monday in a brief interview with Al McFarlane, there was only a
few minutes, but I remember Don again talking about his real life experience (Fortune
500 company exec, Jordan activism, single parent, etc.) and how that prepared him for
the job and how he would address the issues, the only thing I remember from Olin is
that he worked for Sabo, lived in Harrison and was raised by a single mom (a point
which I'd never heard him talked about before but which he stated 3 times in the few
minutes they had).  If we're looking at rhetoric vs substance, I think there is more
substance in informing people of what they don't know and how it's applicable than
simply regurgitating the obvious.  I don't think that any constituency needs more of
the same old rhetoric but rather someone who's been tested by real life experience.

Being brief on an issue may make you cognizant of it, but it doesn't make you
qualified to deal with it.  Real life experience does.

Jonathan Palmer
Victory

yj%,'rt(ˬ*'2qzj2>-,j[hlw騮n+˛m-jwf^+į[