Ok, I just wanted to follow up a bit on my previous
post concerning a SW LRT line following Lyndale Ave.
into Downtown:

First, I think Minneapolitans should oppose the route
that goes through Kenwood not on the grounds of
disturbing the peace for an upper-income neighborhood,
but because this route adds little transit amenity for
Minneapolitans.  Kenwood would not provide either a
rich (pardon the unintended pun) source of either trip
generators or ridership, whereas Uptown and Lyndale
Ave. does.  In addition, bike trails should not be
destroyed as they provide both an amenity and a
commuting compliment to other forms of transit.

The article
(http://swjournal.com/display/inn_opinion/opinion04.txt)
mentioned that rail would either have to replace
parking or a lane of traffic.  One lane of traffic
could be replaced, providing for One driving lane in
each direction as well as a left-turn lane.  The
parking lane would remain for local businesses (as
would the sidelots and sidestreets).

Finally, yes, the present state government will make
it difficult to build new rail.  Effort should
concentrate on building healthy mixed-use pedestrian
environments around the new Hiawatha line to ensure
its success.  But Hennepin County is studying the
Southwest line now for future investment.  It would be
encouraging to see them make a transit decision that
really emphasises present urban assets and begins to
build a transit system.  This should not simply be a
commuter line for the suburbs.  No Pawlenty, Mulnau,
and Krinkie will not be likely to be building many new
rail lines soon, but who knows?  Perhaps Pawlenty
could become the proverbial "Nixon in China," breaking
down the partisan stalemate over transit...

Matt Mason
NYC