I agree with Corrie. Try crossing Hiawatha on foot
sometime or better yet, try it in a wheelchair.

In it's current form, Phillips has been "gated" from
their neighbors to the east, north and west by
freeways. In fact, on the north, the neighborhood
looks at 19 lanes of freeway.

With a 55mph speed limit on Hiawatha, it would be more
like "imprisoned".
It could be renamed Highwaytha instead of Hiawatha.
Remember, 60% of the people who live in Phillips do
not drive a car. With a population of nearly 20,000
people between Phillips and Ventura Village, you are
talking about affecting quite a few lives.

What would be the reaction if the recommendation were
to up the speed limit on Lake Street or Franklin to
55. They are both major transit corridors.

My advice is leave a little earlier. That way you
don't have to drive so fast.

Barb Lickness
Whittier

=====
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the
world.  Indeed,
it's the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead