Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2003 3:28 PM
Subject: [Mpls] Exploiting a photo op versus taking a moral stand

In a message dated 1/18/2003 3:40:31 PM Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

The Mayor has a busy schedule, and unfortunately we can't accommodate every scheduling request. As I mentioned in my phone conversation, Mayor Rybak intends to attend the campout on

Ms. Sether I anticipated your (or the Mayor's) "take" (excuse)on his breaking his word:
  1) Ms.Sether, he promised to do this interview..so he broke his word
  2) If he does stop by the campout he will be simply exploiting people who are poor and people who are homeless and their supporters for a photo op i.e. He will not answer my question as to what he thinks of the terrible Catch-22 that people who are homeless are put in---no place to go even for the barest (crappy) shelter except the streets, they are then breaking the city ordinances that make it illegal to sleep or camp in public places. I spoke to a couple the other night who have to sleep in their car (that is also againt the law.) He will not tell me if he supports or opposes revocation of these ordinances. Paul Ostrow has sent me in writing that he wants the ordinances to stay.
      If he thinks he is going to stop by, wave a little, look sympathetic, shame on him. It is time for the people who say they are leaders in this city to stop worrying about their political careers and more about doing the right thing.
       I am heading down to the overflow shelter tonight where the men stand out in the cold until 10p.m. and then are kicked out of the place (I still do not know if it was a former morgue or a former animal experimentation building--either way it is ironic)... and I do not think a photo op with the Mayor is what they need either.
  3) Ms. Sether, the Mayor has not said word one as to whether he has told the police to not arrest us at the campout... not a word despite my repeated inquiries to him. Believe me, there are those of us willing to be arrested. Would the Mayor risk arrest to stand together with people who are homeless? Police brutality against people who are homeless and people who are poor is one of the most under-reported areas of police abuse in this city.
         So, please tell the Mayor if her shows up, bring a tent , a sleeping bag and a conscience when I ask him (while my film crew is taping) : Will you help us repeal these terrible laws and will you demand opening up of any and all empty buildings in this city so people can begin building homes (both physically and emotionally)?
       Royalty goes among "the masses and deigns to make appearances" leaders of conscience take action.
       Walk'in the Talk Is Not A Photo Op!!!!!!
                  Margaret Hastings-Mpls.-Kingfield