Greg Luce wrote:

I have a few questions that I hope can be answered:

1.  I was unaware that we were running a deficit through NRP funding, which
appears to be related to the bonds issued to fund NRP.  Could we get more
specifics on this?

[In 1990 a number of tax increment districts were refinanced in a way that
deferred a significant portion of the debt service  and allowed the tax
increment stream to be used for other community development purposes. The
most significant of those purposes was the first phase of the NRP Program.
Although It was never expected that there would be sufficient TI to
completely fund the twenty years of both phases, it was also not anticipated
that legislative property tax changes would severely reduce that TI stream
and that this would occur at the same time that the deferred debt became
due.  The result is not an NRP deficit but reduced resources that need to be
allocated between NRP and other community development priorities in a way
that negatively impacts both.]

2.  I assume the Chapter 595 Levy is the one also called the HRA Levy that
in part funds housing creation.  True?  Sorry if this is a rather stupid
question.  Along those lines, I assume that the "competition" between
general tax revenues that fund police, fire, etc., and the HRA Levy that
funds housing/community development is a "competition" necessitated by the
overall 8% tax ceiling.  That is, if we retain the HRA/Chapter 595 Levy, we
must cut back the property tax rate so that the overall rate is 8%.  Just
need clarification on this, as I wade through the intricacies.

[In effect, the Chapter 595 Levy is the Minneapolis version of the HRA levy
created under the special law, "Chapter 595" that also created the MCDA from
a number of Minneapolis development entities. Your understanding of the,
"competition" is exactly right.]

Jack Kryst
King Field

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.