NEWS RELEASE

Parents launch SAVE OUR SCHOOLS 2003: A Campaign in Collaboration with
Parents United.
-- Minneapolis Foundation Provides $25,000 grant for effort to preserve
school funding
-- Organizers to hold mobilization meeting Sunday, January 26, 2003

MINNEAPOLIS, January 22 -A Minneapolis group has begun a campaign to
organize parents all over Minnesota to protect public education from the
threat posed by the state's budget deficit. Save Our Schools 2003: A
Campaign in Collaboration with Parents United received a $25,000 start-up
grant from the Minneapolis Foundation today.

The Minneapolis Organizing Committee of Save Our Schools 2003 invites
everyone concerned about education to attend a mobilization meeting on
Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 2 p.m. at the Whittier Community Center, 2600
Grand Avenue South, Minneapolis. Eight state legislators from Minneapolis
will attend. Speakers will describe the situation at the state capitol and
show Minnesotans how to unite their voices in support of kids.

What our schools face

The Minnesota state legislature faces a budget deficit of about $5 billion
over the next two years. Our new governor and many legislators have promised
to erase the deficit without raising taxes. The public schools are the
single largest item in the state budget, at 40 percent. No matter how you do
the math, the answer equals grave danger for the public schools.

What we're doing

Save Our Schools 2003 is a non-partisan, parent-led campaign to protect
early childhood through grade 12 education in Minnesota. During this
legislative session, we will call on parents and friends all over Minnesota
to tell their legislators they must save our schools.

Here are the key messages our legislators need to hear:

1. They will be held accountable -- We will hold our legislators accountable
for funding the "adequate and efficient" public education guaranteed to
every child by Article 13 of the Minnesota Constitution.

2. Schools are the state's most important investment - Our public schools
are the bedrock of our state's health and success. No other investment is
comparable in long-term value to our economy and our quality of life.

3. Support the progress that's being made - There are no easy answers to the
challenges of multiple languages, special education, racial and economic
disparities and high mobility. But progress is being made. This is no time
to give up on our most vulnerable kids, who need our support and commitment.

4. Know the facts about school funding - Many Minnesotans would be surprised
to learn that Minnesota does not rank near the top among states in public
school per-pupil spending. We're 21st. And while in absolute dollars,
funding has usually increased from year to year, costs -- like health
insurance -- have risen faster. Schools already have cut administrative
costs to the bone, while the state and federal governments continue to
mandate new services without paying for them.

We are united in our commitment to quality public schools for all. We will
not be divided by geography, race, class or generation. Minnesotans are
ready to make sacrifices, but we won't abandon our kids.

Come to the meeting on January 26, 2003 to learn how you can help.

Heather Martens
Kingfield

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.