I used to own a duplex in Seward and the law -- as I understood it -- for the
whole city (it does not exempt student housing whether it is near the U, or not)
is that you cannot have more than 3 unrelated people in any one unit.  As for
boarding houses, there are still a few of them that are grandfathered in.  There
was one on my block in Seward and another one a couple blocks to the south.  The
one on my block made a killing by renting each room out for between $300 -
$350/month.  They made $1500 on a unit that would normally rent for about
$800-1000 (this was 1998) if the two floors were rented as one unit.  Sweet,
huh?  On a block filled with duplexes, this place really stood out because of
the disparity in rental rates.
Barbara Nelson
Burnsville
Once and future Minneapolitan

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.