While there are a myriad of secondary issues and effects associated
with the proposed 35W Access Project, I want to discuss for a moment
the actual highway traffic problems the redesign of the Lake Street
interchange is supposed to address, as well as the current proposed
solutions.

First, the proposed 28th Street fly-over ramp is incomprehensibly
bone-headed.  It appears to be completely unnecessary, unless the
goal is simply to allow some number of terrified, white-bread
suburbanites to get closer to Wells Fargo or Abbott before having
to drive "in," versus above, the Phillips neighborhood. This proposed
ramp will eliminate having to drive through 2 traffic lights (maybe
3 -- can't tell from the design drawings).

Is it really that horrible to have to negotiate those traffic lights?
Once across Lake Street on 2nd Avenue, the road is essentially empty
of most traffic.  On recent rush-hour trips through that stretch
driving to Abbott, it must have taken all of 2 minutes from 35W to
the hospital parking ramp.

In sum: for tens of millions of dollars, we destroy part of the
Phillips neighborhood; build a big, ugly eyesore; get an elevated
ramp sure to be the source of traffic accidents on those icy road
days; and slightly reduce some of the traffic going through the
31st and Lake intersections.  Who wants this useless monstrosity?
Abbott so they can build their new heart center? -- oh, wait, it's
already being built.  Wells Fargo so they can tear down a building
and build a new one?  I don't think they'll stop if they don't get
their flying ramp.

Next is the proposed northbound on-ramp from Lake Street.  That's
a tough one.  How many drivers leaving that neighborhood need to
get on 35W to go northbound to points beyond the 35W / 94 commons?
They're the population who it makes the most sense to serve via
such a ramp.  Those going downtown shouldn't be getting on there,
since it's only slightly over a mile, and requires weaving completely
to the left-side across 4 or 5 lanes to make the downtown exits,
in a stretch of 35W known for being somewhat more dangerous and
congested due to curves, descent grade, over-passes and traffic
merging and splitting for the downtown / 94W exits.

Do the numbers support this ramp?  I don't know, but it seems
doubtful.

Likewise, the southbound exit ramp for Lake Street.  How many drivers
from north of Minneapolis will be coming down 35W and wanting to
get off there?  I've made that trip many, many times myself over
the past 23 years.  I get off at 35th, take it over to Nicollet or
Pleasant and then head north to Lake Street.  Hasn't been a problem
for me.

Drivers coming from the east on 94 and destined for the Phillips
neighborhood might have a better argument since there's no easy way
to get off 94 before 35W and down to Lake Street, once you pass
Cedar Avenue.  If one is headed to west Lake Street, taking the
Lyndale exit works better.

Another tough call, but the benefits of this ramp seem doubtful.

Lastly, closing the entire 35th/36th Street interchange and moving
it down to 38th to fix the "weaving" problem only on the southbound
side where 35th Street exiting traffic has to share the space with
entering 31st Street traffic, seems penny-wise, pound-foolish.  For
a whole lot less money than what the project proposes, one of the
two traffic ramps (35th exit, 31st entrance) could be elevated to
/bona
them in their own backyards, and pay for them, too.  Carol Molneau's
second-ring highway sounds great to me --  as a self-funded toll
road, like Denver's E-470 / Northwest Parkway.

Minneapolis (and Richfield, and perhaps other inner-ring suburbs)
have suffered too much neighborhood disrupting, real-estate value
and quality of life diminishing highway construction ever since the
Crosstown / 35W debacle, while providing huge amounts of tax revenue
to the state so that they could continue to pave us over for other
drivers' convenience (and of course, for the fun and profit of the
construction companies).

It's time that stops.

Lastly is the Rule of Unintended Consequences.  If we perturb the
current traffic flow on nearby city streets and 35W by moving ramps
and adding ramps, what's it going to do to the rest of south
Minneapolis?

The project doesn't even mention this facet.  It wasn't even
considered.  Just because a problem is hard, doesn't mean it should
be ignored.

Drivers may react in what may seem like "strange" ways, but in
reality the psychology of driving can be fairly well understood.
People like to feel like they are getting where they are going with
the least amount of personal hassle, and with the perception that
they are making reasonable progress.  Two examples:  Most of us
know drivers, perhaps ourselves, who prefer to take a longer route
but one in which they are not forced to stop and sit at a light, a
ramp meter or a traffic jam, which may even take longer in minutes,
but "at least the traffic is moving." Second, an example that's
been repeatedly demonstrated by traffic studies:  take a stretch
of road, say 1/4 to 1/2 mile, where the average speed from point A
to B is 35mph.  Now, say the residents complain about the speeds,
and the city puts in a stop sign, along this stretch.  Absent any
other changes, the average speed will remain 35mph between A and
B.  What does that mean?  After cars make their "approximations"
of complete stops, they actually drive faster to make up the lost
time!

I contend that rearranging the 35th/36th street ramps and adding
ramps at 38th will cause heavy traffic in places most people don't
even imagine.  And the result will be really unhappy people, and
shockingly large drops in real estate values in those areas.  Bad
idea.

Thus, on the whole, from the highway traffic perspective, the 35W
Access project is an expensive, mostly unnecessary project with
many negative side effects.  It has few positive side effects, but
are they worth the high price?  No.  And most of them could be
purchased for a lot fewer dollars.

While this is, of course, my opinion, I like to think it's an
extremely well-informed opinion.  [My original posting of this
message then continued to list my "bona-fides" for claiming some
small amount of expertise in this area, but the list administrator
bounced my message as too long.  So now it's shorter -- hopefully
short enough.  If you want to know my background, feel free to write
me.]

Chris Johnson Fulton

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.