All:

I've recently learned of another item of collateral damage from the
Governor's budgetary bombs on Minnesota cities.  There will be no more
"Spring Clean-Up" Saturdays in Minneapolis.  While individual neighborhoods
supported the Saturday Spring Clean-Ups with volunteers and other help, the
chief aid came from the city of Minneapolis in its willingness to supply
packer trucks to dispose of all the stuff left at curbside for disposal.  In
Prospect Park we got four or five packer trucks and they each made two to
four trips to the burner.  It was a very useful project that not only got
rid of everyone's excess "stuff" but also tires, paint, brush, Buckthorn,
metal, and cement.  But without the city's ability to contribute, Spring
Cleanup in all Minneapolis neighborhoods is going to go away.

I'm not so foolish as to say we should keep the Spring Cleanup assistance
and do with less police and firefighters.  But it's a shame that choices
like that have to be made at all.  This is another example of what you get
when "no new taxes" has been sold by Governor Pawlenty as a universal cure.

Steve Cross
Prospect Park

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.