I could not agree more.  Pauline may sound "over the top" to Whites but in
reality, when the facts are viewed and education about what she says takes
place, you find she is telling it like it is.  As she so eloquently states,
it requires both Blacks and Whites working together.  Education is a two way
street.  And definitely more Whites need to stand up and call for that
education.  Education is what Ron Edwards book, "The Minneapolis Story,
Through My Eyes," is all about (www.TheMinneapolisStory.com).  The best book
to so educate that I've seen in America recently is Ron's book, as he tells
the story from three perspectives:  history (the Interludes between each
chapter), personal (his own experiences) and community (Minneapolis itself,
although what he has written about could be said to fit any city in
America).

But until liberals disown the bad part of the Kerner Commission Report of
1968 (that said Blacks were different and couldn't make it like others and
needed the government to provide) and until conservatives disown the bad
part of the book The Bell Curve (that said Blacks were too dumb to make it
like others and needed the government to provide), we're stuck.  This is the
genius of Ron's "common ground of YESes and NOs" that all can agree to,
liberal and conservative.  Martin Luther King said there can be no real
freedom until all are free.  The  most integrated institution in U.S.
society is the military, that is now liberating Iraq (obviously there are
legitimate disagreements over how this should have been done; nonetheless,
if we are true to our beliefs, we have to first stand strong and say that
the people of Iraq needed liberating and that the UN has to stop ignoring
its own Declaration of Human Rights.  If we don't stand up for the Iraqi
people, how can we complain about the slavery of our own country?  After
that we can disagree over how it should have been done, a still legitimate
discussion).

 And if we stand up for freeing Iraqis, then we need also stand up to free
Blacks in America's inner cities.  Ron's book provides the background and
information needed as he educates all of us regarding Minneapolis housing,
education, jobs, redistricting, the courts, local Black organizations, and
the competing futures:  status quo vs. change for the better.  Even the
White House brief to the Supreme Court stands for diversity.  The Supreme
Court may discard the 20 points Michigan uses (which they can defend on both
liberal and conservative grounds) but they won't discard diversity (which
they could not defend doing on any constitutional ground).

The war on drugs is often called a war on young Black men (stiff penalties
for Black crack cocaine users, slaps on the wrist for White users of
"regular" cocaine).  Ron's subtitle for Chapter 9, on jobs, is "Jobs, Not
Drugs and Jail:  The White Man's War on Young Black Men."  He then lists, on
pp. 155-156, facts from the book "State of Emergency:  We Must Save African
American Males," facts which, if they were about White young men, would
result in their being declared a state of emergency.  We need to proclaim
that about the city's young Black men.  I applaud Michelle and Pauline for
standing up.  I applaud Ron for standing up.  As a White guy, my small part
was to help Ron get his book out.  This Mpls list has ducked the racism
question.  The Strib and Mpls.St Paul magazine had big stories on them in
1991 (Interludes 2 and 10 of Ron's book).  Despite their excellent reporting
on this then, they have chosen to skip their education process today and
have, so far, refused to review, acknowledge, or recognize Ron's book (only
City Pages and The Spokesman-Recorder have done so, with front page
stories).    A good starting point is community-police mediation, which the
Mayor, police, and city council have treated shamefully and shamelessly (see
Ron's Chapter 16).  Our troops are standing up for liberation in Iraq.  Will
we stand up for the same opportunity for liberation of our inner city
citizens, especially its youth?

Michelle and Pauline have rightly called us all out.  How will we respond?
An excellent first step would be for everyone to step up to support
mediation.  A good second step would be addressing redistricting (and
contributing money to support the law suit that is fighting this latest
attempt to dilute, degrade, and render Black votes useless, an attempt aided
and abetted with the help of the local branch of he NAACP).  As for a third
step, how about following Ron's call to develop a set of "Sullivan
Principles" for Minneapolis (Chapters 14, 17)?  For more steps, see Ron's
Chapter 5, Interlude 16, Chapter 17 and his Conclusion.