I've been extremely busy at work, which is why I
haven't responded to any of the posts. But to respond
in brief now:

Humor can be a very difficult thing to convey in an
e-mail, especially if the person reading it doesn't
know you well. The originating post did fall flat, but
not enough for me to respond to it, I must admit.

Words can offend. I remember awhile back using the
word "nordeast" and being chided, offlist and on, for
using a word that some consider to be offensive.

I do believe that the List Manager, excepting for his
weak alibi of having a life <g>, would have addressed
the originating post had he seen it. However, I also
recognize the tendency of folks to dismiss claims of
racial injustice when they arise.

When allegations arise, there's inevitably the
response "Let's wait until all the facts come out" or
"We've only heard one side of the story." But in the
instance of, say, affirmative action, I've never heard
"Let's wait until all the facts come out." A person of
color is accepted/hired/whatever simply because he/she
is a person of color. Again, I'm not singling out
Mpls. Issues, but I've heard this same argument in
many other online and face-to-face discussions.

As Don Samuels said in his recent MPR interview, race
is a difficult thing to talk about. Especially when
talk of the person's behavior intersects with talk of
the person's race. That was the unintended case with
the originating post, I suspect.  I have enclosed the
attachment, which Shawn Lewis originally provided to
the list. (Thanks, Shawn.)

That said, the most difficult things to talk can also
be the most rewarding, which is why I hope the
discussion continues. Whether R.T. shaves his own back
or not doesn't concern me.

Peace,
Susan Maricle
formerly of Folwell