--- "Dooley, Bill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Given the recent threads regarding Minneapolis
> police-community relations, list members may be
> interested in a August 20, 2003 USA TODAY article
> entitled "Buddhism and the Badge." The article is
> about an upcoming five-day retreat in the Madison,
> Wisconsin area, lead by a prominent Buddhist monk,
> for police officers and other public safety
> employees to learn how to handle job-related stress.
> This appears to be a regional retreat and I assume
> members of the Minneapolis Police Department are
> eligible to attend. The retreat is somewhat
> controversial with critics claiming it will promote
> Buddhism and that is an impermissible entanglement
> of church and state.

The title of the retreat is "Protecting and Serving
Without Stress or Fear" and it is being led by Tich
Nhat Hanh and others from the Plum Village and Maple
Forest monasteries.

It starts this upcoming Sunday and runs most of next
week. I will be attending.

I assume that those who are concerned about
entanglements of church and state are unfamiliar with
Tich Nhat Hanh's manner of teaching and are unlikely
to be overly familiar with Buddhism.

The retreat is non-sectarian and will focus around the
practice of mindfulness. The linked article referred
to mindfulness as a basic tenet of Buddhism. This is
analogous to saying that forgiveness or compassion is
a basic tenets of Christianity. Its true, but teaching
it doesn't mean you're teaching the religion.

>From the materials I was sent:

"This retreat is open to everyone who wants to learn
the practice of mindfulness, to bring the qualities of
ease, solidarity, fearlessness, joy and kindness into
their daily life. In this non-sectarian retreat there
will be a close focus on those with the aspiration and
enthusiasm to serve their community and society."

For who have never done meditation, a visit to a Zen
or Shambala center can be enlightening. You will find
people of many different faiths and beliefs, and in my
experience, I have not ever met anyone who felt their
personal religious feelings to be threatened or
pressured by their study of meditation.

Mindfulness as a practice focuses on trying to be very
present in the moment. To plan for the future and
learn from the past without losing yourself in dreams
or regrets. To be as aware as possible of your
emotional state, how things are effecting you and how
you are effecting others.

I am no more concerned at being converted to Buddhism
by learning this practice from Tich Nhat Hahn than I
would be concerned about being converted to
Christianity by learning from Dr. Martin Luther King -
or more locally, CM Samuels.  Their actions and
perspectives are founded in their beliefs, but one
doesn't have to adopt their religion to learn what
they have to teach.

It is my hope that I will meet others from the area at
this retreat.

- Jason Goray
Sheridan, NE