> I'd appreciate hearing from others, especially those
> who don't weigh in as regularly on these issues. Am
> I off-base in my defense...too defensive? If
> you feel this discussion is boring the list, please
> email me off-list. If your comments are wider in
> scope, I'll hang in here.

I know that you've encouraged off list responses, but
hopefully this post has enough value to share.

In short, I don't think you're off base. Well, at
least not completely.

Of course, due to your position, we must assume that
you have some bias. Actually, everyone has some bias -
it's whether or not they're open with it that is
important. In your case, you're likely to have some
defensiveness about your paper and your reporters.

I believe that it is likely that the writer was an
outsider to the homeless culture. As an outsider, the
writer would be operating under some assumptions,
stereotypes, and prejudices. It is highly likely that
some of those assumptions / stereotypes / prejudices
made it into the writing.

Also being outside the culture, it may be difficult
for you (or I) to see them.

Those within the culture or closely attached to the
culture will have faced these attitudes countless
times before and will tend to attach malintent to
them. At best, they'll feel that the offenses were
made in ignorance.

Of course, on the other hand, many stereotypes are
based on something real. The problem is that people
will discriminate against (or for) the entire group
rather than seeing if the stereotype is true in each
individual case.

Adding to the difficulties discussing these things,
anyone who looks at a group and mentions that a
stereotype has merit will tend to take a lot of flak
for doing it.

Here, let me test that: I will assert that many
homeless tend to have drug and alcohol problems, have
mental health problems, beg for money - some honestly,
some using lies, and tend to be relatively unclean.
Does that make them any less human than I? No. Can I
assume that any particular homeless person is a drunk
or a druggie or has mental issues or begs or doesn't
stay as clean as they can? No.

The problem is, checking your stereotypes requires
constantly consciously questioning your own beliefs.
This is difficult for any of us to do, especially in
areas where we don't know enough to know what we're
assuming.

That's the danger in propagating stereotypes in
writing. If you feed them in society, in individuals,
they grow, and whether it is because of personal
experiences or nature, not everyone will be equipped
to keep them in check.

So, I'm willing to bet that you are a little off-base
in your defense, somewhere. I'd be willing to bet that
the story isn't perfect - some stereotypes or
attitudes born of prejudice are in there. I'm also
willing to bet that the author had good intent and
that the story, for the most part, is a good one. If
you (or better yet, the author) can identify those
aspects of the story that may have been based more on
stereotype than objective observation, it'd possibly
be enlightening to all of us.

- Jason Goray
Sheridan NE

Taking a firm stand in the middle of the road, hoping
I don't get run down.