Here's a new thread that I will try very hard not to
make into a rant about my corner.  I am interested in
opinions about how an environment (such as a
particular neighborhood) affects one's personal
attitude toward the space, toward others, etc.

Here's the example:  My husband totally refuses to
clean up after our dog.  (He tries to convince me that
it's biodegradable and I respond that the grass will
be dead way before that but whatever.)  So I do all
the cleaning up, particularly on walks.

Anyway, one time we went to Sebastian Joe's for an ice
cream and a walk down to Lake of the Isles with the
dog.  My husband finished his treat while I was still
working on mine, and the dog decided to, um, do her
thing.  I informed my beloved that while I may not be
terribly squeamish, I certainly could not combine
clean-up efforts with chocolate ice-cream savoring,
and that's that.

His response?  "Okay, gimme the baggie, but I'm only
doing this because we're in KENWOOD and it would be a
terrible thing to mess this place up!"

This is fascinating to me.

In my neighborhood, people throw trash, let their dogs
do stuff all over my front lawn, (daily) walk through
my flowers, and even urinate on my steps.  (I'm
beginning to think this last one is personal because
it's so gross and unbelievable, but anyway...)

I know some people who literally told me that they
feel it's not so bad to litter or whatever if the
place already seems dirty.  Maybe this is the key.  I
don't know though, because I pick up the trash on my
corner regularly, along with other peoples' dog
evidence, and have planted two large boulevard
gardens.  It hasn't really worked in terms of making
people less likely to mess it up.

Oh yes, and I almost forgot the most agregious
offense!

Some of you may remember me complaining a couple of
years ago about how I planted three baby apple trees
on my boulevard, and two of them were literally ripped
out of the ground and thrashed to death.  Well we
still have the third, but it's a sad sight.  Someone
has actually been snapping branches off, one at a
time, all summer so that now it is a little stump with
one piddly branch remaining.  (The top shoot got
snapped too, so it's practically like a bonsai these
days.)

So I'll stop complaining now, but does anyone have any
thoughts on this?  Is this a psychological thing
related to poor neighborhoods?  I think it's not just
the people living here, and it's not just kids.  (They
have kids in Kenwood, right??)  I'm convinced that
there is a deeper root to this issue, and perhaps
many.

Connie Nompelis
Ventura Village