--- "Dooley, Bill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Governor Pawlenty is also looking at this issue:
> from today's STAR TRIBUNE

SAM:
I was very heartened by this article. I was especially
impressed with the governor's eloquent
encouragement for business leaders to "plant some
shade trees" for posterity. I did, however, bristle a
titch at the words "best and brightest" as if our
current crop of teachers was devoid of the best and
brightest.

The other day on MPR I heard a feature about parents
supporting Marcy School, which has been placed on the
NCLB "list." Rather than rising up in exodus, parents
are rising up to unite and find out what they can do
to improve things.

It's heartening to see that parents are more than
"customers," a loathsome word used by the Mpls School
Board to describe teachers (and I assume others,
including parents, who have a stake in their school.)
Changing schools isn't as effortless as going across
the street because gas is two cents cheaper or going
to Cub instead of Rainbow for a sale on Bing cherries.
If you're invested your heart and mind in a school,
pulling out ain't all that easy.

Susan Maricle
formerly of Folwell
Bruno MN