Jim,

I actually deliberately said "power structure" instead of "white power
structure" since as Jim pointed out, there were white people on both sides
of the NAACP battle, and one can also argue whether the power structure is
completely white (although most would agree that it is mostly white).   The
more important point that is partly getting missed is that the traditional
and usually dominant faction of the Minneapolis NAACP is aligned and
intertwined with the groups that run the city's governing institutions, and
usually tends to effectively support a status quo agenda.  The insurgent
faction of the NAACP wants to challenge the power structure and more
aggeessively take on racial injustice and inequality.

During the 1999 leadership struggle discussed in the City Pages, the
incumbent insurgent leadership under the presidency of Leola Seals was very
outspoken and aggressive on civil rights issues.  They organized
demonstrations against at Minneapolis Board of Education meetings in
conjunction with their lawsuit against the state of Minnesota for
educational segregation, held a press conference against CODEFOR when
challenging the Minneapolis police seemed politically unthinkable, was in
the process of parting with the City and the Legal Aid Soceity in the
implementation of the Hollman settlement which was proving to be a scam to
get federal funding for gentrification  under the guise of improving and
desgregating public housing, and was supporting alterantive economic
development to the Cherryhomes-Belton machine.  The conservative faction led
by Jefferson was clearly aiming to get rid of the NAACP as a threat to the
power structure (which did have both African American and white leadership).
They did succeed in the short run through tactics that were highly suspect
to put it mildly, but the chapter has never recovered.  The conflict that is
now in the news seems to be between the conservative faction that is not
only aligned with but is also part of the Minneapolis Board of Education
versus those that want to take on those in power.   The personality
conflicts emphasized by Doug Grow are a convenient diversion from the
substantive conflict.

Jordan Kushner
Golden Valley
works downtown