Many thanks to Ann Berget for posting this earlier this week.  I'm re-posting for those who may have missed it.
This should be a really worthwhile event for list members,
regardless of their political leanings!

Dee Long, living in Minnetonka, working in St. Paul, but my heart is still in Minneapolis

 On Wednesday, October 29th at 7pm, the Citizens League and Minnesota Public Radio are pleased to present Ted Halstead, speaking on "The Radical Center and America's Democracy" at the Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul.

            Are recent voters in California - and Minnesota - confused?  Or are they just unhappy with their choices?  What do they want and who will engage them?  What does this mean for the elections this November, and especially for next year's Presidential election?  What does it mean for democracy, and for the most important public policy issues of our time?

            Ted Halstead is a defining voice for a new generation of political leaders.  Mr. Halstead is the author of The Radical Center, and a regular contributor to the New York Times, the Atlantic, the Washington Post and the LA Times.  Ted Halstead is recognized for his thoughtful analysis, and his entrepreneurial and bold public policy recommendations.   His speech, "The Radical Center and America's Democracy" will suggest that the future of American democracy, policy, and political parties, lies with whatever group claims this "radical center" - a synthesis of common themes from the left and the right.

            Given the fact that this has recently been confirmed, we encourage you to forward this invitation to anyone that you think might be interested.

            Tickets are $12 for the general public, $10 for Citizens League and Minnesota Public Radio members, and free for students with a valid student ID.  Advanced ticket sales are available through the Fitzgerald Box Office, at 651-290-1221.  (Proceeds help to cover Citizens League's expenses.  The event is not a fundraiser for either organization.)

            Parking is available right behind the Fitzgerald Theater in the World Trade Center parking ramp.  Here is a link to the theater: www.fitzgeraldtheater.com.

            NOTE: From November 3-9, 2003, public radio stations throughout the country are airing special coverage, Whose Democracy Is It? which explores the health of democracy in America.  Ted Halstead's public address is part of this collaborative programming and is being recorded for broadcast on Minnesota Public Radio news and information stations,  91.1 FM in the Twin Cities.  To learn more about this project, you can go to: http://www.whosedemocracy.org.

Additional information on Ted Halstead and the speech can be found at http://www.citizensleague.net.

            Program participants include the following organizations:

·         Civics Incorporated

·         e-strategy.com

·         Humphrey Institute Policy Forum

·         MNPolitics.com

Questions can be directed to Sean Kershaw, Citizens League President, at 612.338.0791, or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks, and we look forward to seeing you there!

P.S.  There will be an informal reception after the speech for people interested in further conversation with Mr. Halstead.