> WM:The director of the San  Francisco's public library decided that the age of
CDs and palm pilots  was the way to go. He threw out millions of books, many
irreplaceable.  He promptly got fired, but it was already too late. ...

I actually lived in SF during the launch of the new downtown library, and it
was an unqualified success.  One reason for that success is that there are
hundreds of public access computers available at the SF library, something I
hope to see happen here at both the downtown and neighborhood sites.

Libraries are not about BOOKS, they are about information, learning, and
resources. Books have been the primary "information" technology for many
generations, but that has changed with advances in information technology,
especially with the advent of the Internet.

I love books, but in terms of  "public information" needs,  employing
information technologies is both cost-effective and more efficient, and
helps to encourage technology literacy among ALL our residents, not just
those who can afford it.

One strategy we should look at, as a community, is how to strengthen and
support other neighborhood-based institutions that are designed to
accommodate public access to  information technology, such as community
technology centers (CTCs). This would spread out some of costs associated
with supporting so many full-service libraries, when many residents simply
need to access resources that are either available online or within CD/DVD
libraries.

Our local CTCs (some of which are housed in Libraries, such as Hosmer and
Franklin) survive to a great degree on volunteer labor; yet they provide an
opportunity to extend our public libraries' resources in the same way that
bookmobiles did (do) in both rural and urban communities.

I think sometimes we are asking Public Libraries "be all things to all
people", when there may be other community-based resources that might
actually do a better job of meeting community needs. When there is so little
money available to support all these needs, we need to start looking at
alternatives...as well as developing alternative revenue streams, which I
strongly support the Mayors' initiative in pursuing.

--
Catherine M. Settanni, Corcoran Neighborhood Resident
Director, C-CAN

"Equal access to technology is the civil rights issue of the 21st century"