Neal Krasnoff's attacks on The Babylon indicate either
a personal grudge against The Babylon or a general
grudge towards any organization who includes support
of Palestine among their political issues.

It is difficult to discuss the second aspect of the
issue without going well beyond the local issues
mandate of this list.

However, claiming that a local arts collective was
exhorting attacks on Jews, morally relating them to
groups that would use propaganda like the Protocols of
the Elders of Zion, and suggesting that they were
destroyed by G-d for their works of evil demands some
sort of response.

Furthering that attack by directly calling the
statements of a list member who attempted to describe
what the collective was actually about lies adds to
the need for a response.

I'll try and walk the line by discussing my memories
of the place.

I have attended numerous events at The Babylon,
although none in some time. These events included a
wide range of things.

* A friend's first gallery showing (non-political art,
mostly about horses)
* A musical performance by David Rovics (incredible.)
* Round table discussions about Palestine and other
issues.
* A music and poetry open mic night.
* Numerous movies about situations in Afghanistan,
Palestine, Iraq (most of these were filmed prior to
the wars in Afghanistan or Iraq).
* A couple non-political punk shows.
* A fund raiser to send a group of women to Iraq and
Palestine to collect art and do works of
reconstruction.
* Meetings to discuss supporting a friend who wanted
to go to Palestine to document what she saw and do
what she could to help people.

The focus of the political side of things tended to be
on the middle east, but they were certainly NOT
anti-Jew.  There was quite a bit of criticism of
Israel and the actions of the Israeli state.  There
was support for RAWA (a group of Afghani women who has
been working for women's rights in Afghanistan for
many years).  There was concerns about sanctions on
Iraq (that dates that one).  I remember one film that
documented the propaganda that goes into continuing
the hate in Palestinian / Israel - on both sides.  I
recall a very disturbing look on medical conditions in
Afghanistan and another film - even worse - on the
effects of DU in Iraq. A lot of folks from Anti-War
committee could be found there from time to time.

In conversations and discussions there, I recall
talking with people of many faiths - Muslim, Jewish,
Christian.  I am pretty sure there were Buddhists,
pagans, agnostics, and atheists as well.  I never
observed anyone getting upset at anyone for their
choice or lack of faith at The Babylon.  Would that be
the case at an organization with an anti-Jewish
agenda?

I also recall talking to people with different
feelings about Israel.  Some supported it and wanted a
peaceful two state solution.  Some wanted Israel and
Palestine blended into one modern state.  Some wanted
Israel abolished and the land given back to the
Palestinians.  Some were content with current borders,
some were content with 1968 borders, some only with
pre-1948 borders.  Some of these discussions got
extremely verbally heated, but never a hint of
anything beyond that - and people on both sides of the
conversation were there, at The Babylon.

When it came to politics (which is not all that The
Babylon was about), the organizers certainly did have
a focus of concern on the middle east - particularly
with Iraq, Palestine, and Afghanistan.  While some of
the people there were decidedly anti-Israel, I met
none who were anti-Jewish.

The people I interacted with at the Babylon would have
been appalled at the idea of exhorting violence
against Jews.

Finally, to respond to a specific exchange:

>> Anyone who visited the center would know that
>> the artists and community members involved were
>> deeply committed to peace and social justice.
>
> That is obviously a lie in this case: the website
> clearly has a written exhortation to "GET OUT AND
> FIGHT !" - the Jews, no doubt, since the pictures
> have titles containing the names of Palestinian
> towns.
>
> It is incitment to violence. That is not being
> committed to "peace".

One can only draw that conclusion if they hold "the
Jews" responsible for the situation in Palestine - a
claim I did not hear at The Babylon or see in those
pictures.  If that interpretation is made, the
interpreter brings the prejudice in with them.

The interpretation I take from it and took from The
Babylon was that to "GET OUT AND FIGHT !" means to get
out there and do something - both locally and
non-locally.

For me, it was to learn more and let people know what
I'd learned, participate in demonstrations here in
Minneapolis and in DC, and support people who were
heading to Palestine.  For others, it meant to disrupt
their lives and head over to Palestine to do a myriad
of actions (none, to my knowledge, violent).  For
many, it meant to lend their support to candidates who
would put political pressure on Israel to change
things (one of the areas which seriously caused me to
question my historical support of Democrats).

To fight - like "infatada" - means to struggle.
Violence is a form of struggle, but only one form.
There are many, many non-violent ways to fight - and
ultimately, they achieve more lasting success.

- Jason Goray
Sheridan, NE