Having been to the Suuq during the time discussed in Paul Weir's posting as
well as Dean Zimmerman and Greg Luce's posts, maybe I can shed some more light
on this matter. I am familiar with Ahmed Jama and Rukia Fatah, the shopkeepers
of Sanag Fashions, #A114, who were received an eviction notice on Friday,
February 13th.

Several weeks ago, Somali leaders contacted Jim Graham and ask him to assist
some shop owners at the Suuq   who claimed to be victimized by the
owners/managers. A meeting was held where several shopowners pleaded for neighborhood
assistance. Ahmed Jama and Rukia Fatah were among those who made that request.
Ventura Village voted to have its   executive committee investigate allegations
of exploitation of businesses by Suuq   owners/managers. As a Ventura Village
Neighborhood Board Members and appointed as Secretary of Ventura Village, I
got involved.

Jim Graham and I met with Jama and Fatah at the Hennepin County Government
Center where I had urged them to go to meet with Omar Jamal, Executive Director
of the Somali Justice Advocacy Center (which recently was added to the
Hennepin County Judicial Service Center). At that time, the evicted shopkeepers
showed us several documents which will be important in this discussion. First, they
showed us a receipt that shows that they paid their rent for #A114 for
February, 2004. Secondly, they showed us a document revealing that the eviction was
based on allegations of "subletting their shop" and "no possession of
insurance". According to Jama and Fatah, they had never received any official summons
to court, where they ended up being listed as "no shows". They said they never
even knew that a court action was being initiated against them. No "in
person" service of the summons was issued to them, they allege.

According to other Somali shopkeepers, all the mail going to the Suuq goes to
the management company. Therefore, if the management company wants to win in
court, they could simply make sure that the shopkeepers don't get the summons
being mailed to them. Then the courtroom officials figure that the defendents
simply decided not to appear, which triggers an automatic decision to the
benefit of the plaintiffs. That's why a service of the summons provided to the
defendents is so crucial to any justice in the courts.

Greg Luce wrote in his posting, "The court hearing appears to have been
February 6, 2004, which is extremely quick for an eviction hearing for a
non-payment case filing that occurred one week prior. Typically, the court hearings
are
14 days from the date of filing. Why this one was seven days is beyond me."

Indeed things are unusual, and an inquiry must be made as to the whole
sequence of events surrounding this issue. If the on-line database Greg relies on
said, "...the filing was for non-payment of rent," this is at variance as to
what the actually document shown to me indicates. Does this mean that Hennepin
County also has it wrong?

Dean Zimmerman wrote, "When I arrived at the suuq,somewhere between 1pm and
2pm, I found the employees of the suuq owner inside the merchant's stall boxing
up the merchant's possession[s]." I followed Dean and John Kolstad into the
Suuq and photographed the police at the door of #A114: Sanag Fashions. A red
Sheriff's notice was posted at the door and translucent plastic was stretched
over the doorway to block any view   inside. I pushed it aside and snapped a
couple of photos of people inside boxing up the merchandise. Then I left to go
outside where Ahmed Jama and Rukia Fatah were standing. They were not permitted
inside under threat of arrest and were standing with Jim Graham outside the
building.

Dean Zimmerman writes: "At my suggestion, the suuq owners opened the doors to
the space to allow Jim Graham and others from the Ventura Village
Neighborhood Organization to photograph the scene and to photograph the people who
were
actually doing the work of boxing up the merchandise.â Actually, I was just
coming back inside the building with another Somali shopkeeper when the police
asked me to photograph inside #A114. I did so to record the packed boxes prior
to being taken to a secure place for storage according to MN Statute. Jim
Graham never stepped inside the building, but rather stayed outside with Jama and
Fatah.

One of the most important things I observed was that each of the stalls or
shops in the Suuq have walls that only go up eight feet. The ceiling of the Suuq
is approximately ten feet. I cannot imagine how anybody could get insurance
with such a gap above the stalls. A fire would probably pass quickly between
stalls and conceivably, a thief could crawl over the walls to steal merchandise.
So I would like to see some evidence that any of the shopkeepers can get
insurance for their shops.

Dean Zimmerman writes: "Omar Jamal, some Somali elders, the police and I
spent the next couple of hours speaking with the suuq owners and other merchants
about what was going on and about how the eviction process works. When I left,
sometime after 4pm, things were calm, there were no TV cameras nor
demonstrations going on. Your post is the first that I heard of TV cameras and
demonstrations."

Those of us not party to Dean's meeting with the owners, returned outside
where we were joined by numerous Somali shopkeepers. John Bergin and two of the
Sabri brothers were also outside during this period. A bit later, Channel 11
and Channel 5 television crews did show up and recorded interviews with Ahmed
Jama and Rukia Fatah and Omar Jamal who had earlier met with Dean. I
photographed the crowd and the television interviews so I can attest that Paul Weir's
query is accurate. In fact, I took a disc of the 50 photos I shot over to Paul
Weir today so he could see for himself what had happened on Sunday. I also gave
him permission to post any of the photos he thought would help the community
better understand the issues surrounding the eviction of Ahmed Jama and Rukia
Fatah.

Obviously, this matter is not over, because there is too strong a disparity
between information given by Bergin/Sabri and the evicted shopkeepers. I've
heard that many other shopkeepers have refused to open their shops until there is
greater resolution to this issue. I cannot confirm this. Maybe some of the
Somali people will join this Issues Forum and speak for themselves...

Yesterday I urged many of the assembled shopkeepers I spoke with, that on
Tuesday, February 16th they should march down to the US Post Office and DEMAND of
the Postmaster that they be provided with direct mail service instead of
their mail being handed over to the management company of the Suuq for
distribution. I further suggested that each of them contact a commercial insurance
carrier/broker to determine whether anybody can actually get insurance in there. I
also hope that the City of Minneapolis gets serious in ascertaining the safety
of the Suuq system where the shops are so interconnected. One of my
photographs from another of the shops shows a use of extension cords across the
ceiling
that should be totally forbidden in a place like that.

I have contacted Jim Graham and asked him to comment on the   requests made
to him by those shopkeepers and add to any discussions in any of these
postings.   I will forward his comments to the Minneapolis Issues Form.