David Brauer said: (I know Pratt is small, but I assume others are bigger.)

Ahhh, but Pratt isn't that small and because it isn't, that's part of the
question about how classrooms were counted.

Pratt has about 16 classrooms and, as you'll recall, there are only four
grades in the building.  So, are there just a few kids rolling around in all
that space?  The answer to that is "no."  Pratt is also the home of the
Adult Continuing Education Program and a substantial portion of the other
space is used by that program.  (The fact that the Continuing Education
Program is in the building may be one reason why the kids are performing so
well in there's.  There are lots of adults around, it's not a "kids world"
there, and among the adults are often some of the kids parents.  The
presence of so many adults may positively effect on learning by the kids and
trying to gauge whether that is true is currently going on.)

But it's not just a matter of the other classrooms being occupied by another
program.  The neighborhood had always understood that for budgetary
purposes, the heat, light, electricity, and maintenance of the entire
building was supported by the continuing education program and not by the
grade-school budget.  So that meant that the building was "free" in on sense
and the only extra costs to having the grade school program at Pratt was the
teachers themselves.  So the question is, like the cost of the maintenance
of the building, were the other classrooms counted as "in use" by the
Continuing Education Program or were they double counted as "unused" grade
school classrooms.

And the answer is: nobody knows and that includes the school board and
possibly even its staff.  Answers were never forthcoming from the MPS when
they were asked at the time the closings were under consideration.  The
suspicion remains that none of the facts were ever really determined but
were just guessed at to support what someone in the system otherwise wanted
to do.

And if they are wrong about the count of unused classrooms at Pratt (as well
as the supposed cost savings from closing it) what else are they wrong
about?

Supposedly, we are going to get the full facts by the end of March.  We'll
see.  The neighborhood and the parents want to participate in this decision
and not just have it "done to" us.

Steve Cross
Prospect Park