You're right, Jon - with one exception: Not enough locally produced public
affairs programming - especially for progressive listeners - they being the
largest underserved audience in the KFAI listening contour.

I have public affairs talk show proposal under consideration for a vote by
KFAI's Programming Committee next Tuesday. Their inclination is always to
replace music with music, and to defer to off-air volunteers the first crack
at on-air slots; but some pressure (from inside and out) is coming to bear
on the station to program more locally produced public affairs. I would be
very grateful if you and you list members could email or call the station in
support of our proposal - the only public affairs program in the running
among six applicants (the others for yet more music) - by making the message
specific to our show (if you wish). Directing the message to the executive
director, program director and president, the latter two also members of the
Programming Committee, would be most helpful.

Our show would be a 2-hour bloc on Tuesday mornings from 9 -11, not long
before Amy Goodman's Democracy Now! airs (at Noon), and featuring one or two
subjects each week, depending on importance, and running a short
pre-produced field piece to kick off the discussion. We'll use music
transitions, some humor pieces and new headlines along with guests and
call-ins.

Here are names and email addresses:

KFAI:
Dan Richmond, Program Director <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Janis Lane-Ewart, Executive Director <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Jo Ann Vano, President <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Ann Alquist, News Director <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Lydia Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thanks much.

Andy Driscoll
Saint Paul