I will ask you as I have Booker, what evidence you have for any of this?
What makes it an "elite social club"? How do you know this?  What do they do that
you're defining as elite?  What proof do you have for your assertions that it
"joined forces" to do anything?  It would be real nice if those of you making
accusations could provide some support for what your saying rather than
merely making unsubstantiated claims.  Perhaps while you're doing this you can
comment on the "elite" nature of their HBCU bus trips, high school student
scholarship awards, adopt-a-family programs and Juneteenth activities just to name a
few.  I would expect if they were an "elite social club" that they would be
sitting on the veranda, drinking mint julips and eating tea biscuits over the
latest gossip rather than doing volunteer and service work, but maybe you have a
different definition of "elite"...

And I'm unclear how "RT made his pick before the screening / selection
process was done, and without opportunities for public comment." when this is the
same process that the Police Chief search followed.  The opportunity for public
comment comes at the public hearing once the nomination goes through Exec.
Committee.

More to the point,  the finalists were announced mid-April.  The advisory
panel well before that, at any point anyone could have called, written or emailed
to RT, Natalie Johnson-Lee or any advisory panel member and "commented".  And
isn't want you're doing now making public comment?  I'm unclear how you can
legitimately make this statement and would appreciate you expanded on how this
process hasn't been fair.  Because again, I've yet to hear a valid concern.

On to Booker's point about the degree, I too, was concerned about it...until
the situation was explained to me, and whoever sent you [Booker] the
information either didn't know the whole story or intentionally left it out, but my
understanding is that she thought she completed her degree, she walked in
commencement, and went on with her life.  She just recently found out that there was
some snafu with a few credits (I think a professor who forgot to turn in a
grade or something) and the professor has since passed away.  She is currently
rectifying the situation, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

It is not a flag for me because junk like this happens and it's not the same
as dropping out of school or never going.  And for those of you who think jobs
are the key to empowerment vs. education, I would think that seeing how much
she's accomplished since that time would be impressive to you.

Again, let's raise the level of debate.  Let's take a serious look at the
nominee and the issues, and ask the serious questions.  Making unfounded or
incomplete accusations doesn't get us to the truth faster, it merely obfuscates the
situation and creates more confusion.  More to the point its disingenous and
beneath anyone who is legitimately concerned about this position.

Let's leave the phantom fears and menaces for the next bad Star Wars
installment.

Jonathan Palmer
Victory

In a message dated 4/30/2004 2:33:56 PM Central Standard Time,