It's killing me--as a St. Paul resident but devoted Minneapolis worker,
I cannot help but gloat about the differences in the selection of police
chiefs in both cities.  There's a story in Strib today about the
recommendation of John Harrington, a 26-year veteran of the St. Paul
force who happens to be African American.  Doug Grow's column yesterday
noted the differences in the cities' respective approaches in selecting
a new chief, really berating Minneapolis in its payment of $34,000 to a
national search firm, Mayor Rybak apparently ignoring the firm's
recommendation, and calling St. Paul's approach 'uncreative and
effective.'

As I gloat, I also wonder, what exactly is the difference?  Nine
district councils in St. Paul vs. 81 neighborhoods in Minneapolis?
Heightened racial tensions in Minneapolis as opposed to St. Paul (though
not sure this is genuinely true)?  13 full time Minneapolis council
members vs. 9 part-time St. Paul council members (as Mpls Police Union
chief Delmonico points out)?  Popularity of outgoing chiefs?  Drinking
water?  Free pizza here in St. Paul?

In Grow's column, he quotes St. Paul CM Bostrom about the internal vs.
external dilemma in hiring a new chief:

"When you come from the outside, you come alone," Bostrom said. "They
have to use staff that's already there. They know nothing about anybody.
They can't separate the good talkers from those who do good work. So the
new chief comes in and he says he's going to shake things up, but he
doesn't really understand the department. So he does something at the
top but when it shakes out, the troops at the bottom will be doing
things the same way they always have."

I tell ya, we get things done over here in St. Paul, or, as you folks
like to call it, East Minneapolis. Nyaah nyaah.

Gregory Luce
Project 504 (Jordan)
Residing in East Minneapolis