Ok, this does feel a bit like chicanery, or at least
searching for a loophole, but at some point, somebody
has to ask...

Last night I was discussing the smoking ban with a
bouncer from my bar and a bartender from a bar I
frequent.

The bartender mentioned that her bar was planning to
start keeping their back patio open all year.  They're
going to put a tarp over the roof, shovel it, and put
out heat lamps.

She was wondering if we were planning on it, but the
bouncer mentioned that we have a pretty hard time
heating the bar in the winter as it is.  At that
point, he asked: "What exactly defines something as
being 'indoors', anyway?"

So, does anyone know?  My initial guess was that
missing one wall would make it an outdoor space, but
that doesn't seem quite right as, during the summer,
it would make all of Bob's Java Hut outdoors.

How much shelter can a bar build on their patio before
it is considered to be an indoor space?

###

It might be noted the question as to why one of the
back rooms couldn't have been turned into a smoking
room was brought up.

- Jason Goray
Sheridan, NE