Hey everyone. . .

Having just ended the first week of school and procrastinating terribly to avoid the grading before me this weekend, I thought I'd add a bit of perspective to the enrollment issue. At our school and many others (if not all), we are required to submit E counts. (E meaning enrollment, I assume) At the high school level all second hour teachers do an E count for the first few weeks of the school year. The reality is that many students change schools in the first couple of weeks OR do not show up until someone notices they are not in school after a week or two in.

Attendance and E counts are done electronically on a district-wide web-based system called Discovery. All week, at our site, it took an obscenely long time to take attendance and just finally started to speed up. Some teachers were still having a hard time taking attendance and doing their E counts today. We (teaching staff) were told that there were kinks needing to be worked out. Hopefully, those kinks will be worked out next week.

Enrollment changes incredibly and daily. For instance, one year I taught I started out with 116 students in my four Civics classes and by April had lost 48 students to other schools and gained 32 new students. Plus, I have had several students who have changed schools three or four (or more) times in one school year.

I guess my point is this. . . providing an enrollment number at anytime is providing a number which may change slightly by the next day. And, particularly at the beginning of the school and even more so with this school year starting before Labor Day, providing an enrollment number on day one would not provide an accurate number.

Brionna Harder
Cathedral Hill

Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter tools and more! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx

REMINDERS:
1. Think a member has violated the rules? Email the list manager at [EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list. 2. Don't feed the troll! Ignore obvious flame-bait.