Mark Snyder wrote:

> I think I'm gonna have to side with Dan McGuire's take on this...if there's
> any grouping going on, it's more likely due to performance than ability.

    I did NOT say that I thought there was grouping going on according to performance.
What I said was,  " Dave Heistad is
the person who would be able to provide the specifics regarding student performance in
each classroom, which is, of
course, different than student ability - students don't always perform according to
ability."  My point was that
speculation and anecdotal reporting aren't going to get us very far.  Until the
district decides to do a comprehensive
analysis of student performance by classroom, and release the info to the public, we
would do just as well to listen to
the geese honking overhead as talk to each other without the facts.  If there were
grouping going on according to
somebody's assessment of ability, I'm very skeptical of that assessment and grouping
being done in any organized, district
wide effort.
    As to Doug's request for clarification on my remark that his idea for creating
spots evenly throughout the district
for probationary teachers being "easier to implement in a growing district instead of
a shrinking one" - there are only a
handful probationary teachers in the district this year and for the near future.  So,
there aren't any probationary
teachers to spread around and it's not likely that there will be many any year soon.
As my Grandpa Jimmy would say, you
can dream up a good plan for roping calves, but if you don't have a herd and a horse,
all you got is wind.
Dan McGuire
Ericsson