From: "Terrell Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Minneapolis Issues Forum'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2004 12:44 AM
Subject: RE: [Mpls] Now: Fundraisers to pay bills the city should pay

Jordan S. Kushner writes:
> I believe that the city council's decision not to pay the
> full $350 per hour
> in charged legal fees was reasonable.  This is frankly an
> excessive fee in
> the Twin Cities market.  The decision to reduce payment by
> about 25% still
> comes out to about $260.  This is still generous.

[TB] The City, via its recently hired Police Chief, attacked her career.
She deserves the best representation she can get.  In a politically
charged case, it seems reasonable to hire an attorney with political
connections.  In my limited experience in dealing with attorney fees,
David Lillehaug's fee seems in line, $300 is not a rare fee in this
town.  He is, after all, a former US District Attorney.  If the City is
going to challenge her career, it doesn't also have the right to force
her to accept Wal-mart level representation.

This is about a Chief of Police who is out to get a female who has the
guts to think that she is qualified to be Chief of Police in the City of
Minneapolis.  A Chief of Police who it has been reported didn't even
bother to become a licensed police officer in the state of his former
employment.  A Chief that was hired over more than one well qualified
internal candidate.  Perhaps he doesn't like the idea of being
challenged by such well qualified individuals?  Especially if they are
female?  Why isn't it that Lucy Gerold should get the best
representation possible?  Had she not prevailed she would not only been
out of a job, she wouldn't have ever gotten a police job anywhere in the
country.

Gerold is also the only one of the 3 who were investigated where the
Chief was reported to say that he would "take her out."  It was a
targeted attack.  The City (or the Police Chief) should pay the bill.

Terrell Brown
Loring Park

REMINDERS:
1. Think a member has violated the rules? Email the list manager at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list.