Per David's request ...

I am the Precinct Chair for 1-1 and also with the help of many handled the Ward 1 caucuses at NE Middle School. The evening went well but I had hoped for a better turn out after last year. We are in City Council President Paul Ostrow's ward but in an open seat ward that usually brings up the totals (though not necessarily). As someone whose first Minneapolis caucus was in 2000 (the year of Saturday same day precinct caucuses and senate district conventions), 2nd was during a snowstorm in 2002, 3rd last year where attendance grew 5 fold and this year where all the precincts met at the same venue as a group first, I can't say that it's always the same old thing. The jury is still out on which method I like best.
I had a first time attendee in my precinct and know of at least 2 others within the ward that were new to the process. We had resolutions in various precincts (from the 1/2% sales tax to the Park Board) and since they are Minneapolis specific were appropriate and should be forwarded to the Ward and City Conventions (hope the powers that be are seeing this). Though some folks may not have understood the wording (all the Whereas and we resolves) Commissioners Erwin, Hauser,Dziedzic and Kummer all mentioned them during the MPRB meeting this evening. It was kind of interesting, like the old game of telephone, the resolutions as worded (that I saw) and what the commissioners heard from people were VERY different but the fact people were discussing the issues was great.
I had parents that attended precinct caucuses (though of my siblings only me, 1 of 5 participates) but as my neighbor Kay Pogemiller told me, her son started going in high school and kind of dragged the family into politics with him. Whatever your reason I'm glad you came and I hope to see you again.

Liz Wielinski
Columbia Park