As a person that has received the traing to be a housing inspector, as well as
building inspector, we are taught to follow the codes and ordinances.  We are
also taught to work with the clients being inspected to help them understand
the issue.  We are also told by our instructors that we will probably be
overworked and under pressure to get more done in less time.  I chose not go
into public inspections because it looked like to much bureaucracy and politics.
Ron Leurquin
Nokomis East

Allan wrote:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone that's dealt with city inspectors made
them point out the regulations regarding the changes + dbl checked that
they're being properly interpreted?  I'm asking this because my impression
of inspectors is that they tend to do what they think is right but that
doesn't always coincide with ordinances nor with when they can be applied.
I'm not being cynical, there are a lot of things to keep track of.  And of
course there are some that find it easier just to make some up.  This was
the experience that my parents had when doing their own general contracting
when building a home.  Mom would play dumb and have the inspector point out
the ordinance "so her husband could understand what needs to be done because
she can't explain this stuff well".  It might help to avoid having to do
some work in these cases.

REMINDERS:
1. Be civil! Please read the NEW RULES at http://www.e-democracy.org/rules.
If you think a member is in violation, contact the list manager at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list.