Michael Atherton asks: I was wondering if there exists or is any
discussion
of providing Minneapolis property tax relief for
Guard members serving in Iraq?

Brandt:  Assuming that Michael was serious, and not just throwing in a
Minneapolis reference to justify a posting on this topic, here are
several observations.  1)  Any property tax relief would have to be
granted by the Legislature, and it would not grant such relief only to
Minneapolis service people.  2)  Why just the Guard?  There are plenty
of reservists serving.  3)  Why just Iraq?  There are plenty of Guard
members/ reservists serving in Afghanistan.  Others have been mobilized
to support people in combat zones but are doing so from Germany, or even
North Carolina.  4) Although there are Guard and reservists serving who
can match me grey hair for grey hair, the vast majority of the people I
see in my son's Marine reserve unit are in their late teens or early
20s, and don't own property.  Granting them property tax relief through
their landlords might be administratively more difficult.

Steve Brandt
Kingfield