With all due respect, Mr. Hodges, I see you working here. Many people across
the country share your sentiments about where SOs are housed.

As somebody who has spent much of his career working with SOs, I can tell
you that, for the most part, your proposals about distances from day cares
and youth centers, etc. mean well, but don't do a whole lot of practical
good. Most of the men who I've seen reoffend will travel to where they need
to be to get what they want. Not living next to a day care or school won't
make a bit of difference. Most SOs are prohibited from being in those areas
anyway. The fact is, if they want to reoffend, they will. I don't like
telling you that anymore than you like hearing it, but those are the facts.
With all the restrictions you proposed, and drawing 1000 foot circles around
every one of those places, I wonder how much square footage would be left in
the city to house any of these people.

Iowa recently passed an ordinance similar to what you are proposing. It
effectively eliminated many small Iowa towns from housing any released SOs
because the radii from all the places they were prohibited from living 2000
feet from covered the entire town and more. City folk, of course, didn't
like that, because the SOs were de facto concentrated in particular areas of
particular cities. It's NIMBY everywhere.

I assume rents are cheap in North Minneapolis or minority neighborhoods and
that's where released men with little money can get housing. I'm sincerely
sorry about that, especially with all the other stuff going up there. There
is talk in the legislature of funding for transitional housing for released
SOs, but I can assure you that no municipality is going to volunteer to be
the first test case of that sort of housing.

It's an extremely complicated issue, and one that I feel for you on.....

Michael Thompson
Windom