Scott Vreeland writes:

> Mr. Coleman,
>
> I found your article about the DeLaSalle football stadium both nasty  and
> offensive. I don't think misleading propaganda and insults should be
legitimate
> content of the Metro section. There is enough conflict and  controversy
> without going for ad hominem attacks on a whole neighborhood.

Caveat: To mix a metaphor, I have no dog in this spat (especially since
we're covering it on an ongoing basis for Skyway News - thanks for the plug,
Scott!).

Nick is a columnist and a good Catholic boy, so it's no surprise he came out
swinging for D. Provoking folks is his job.

However, his main argument - "residents are on parkland so DeLaSalle should
get its field and bleachers" - misleads on a key point.

The residents - or at least their houses - were there before the Park Board
acquired the land. The residents aren't allowed to build more housing.

DeLaSalle, on the other hand, now wants to be able to build something new
and bigger - an expansion I don't think the Park Board has (or would) allow
anyone else.

Personally, I can see the virtue in building the field. The Park Board
opened the door way back when, when they allowed those crummy tennis courts
get built on public land. The D plan would essentially combine that space
with the school's existing bare-bones field for a more usable playing field.

There is definitely some "public value" because the Park Board could use the
field when D isn't - but given the history of the "public" tennis courts -
which are unmarked as such - citizens expect any D-Park Board sharing to be
spelled out in writing.

But again, let's be clear: D wants an EXPANSION onto parkland that residents
would never get.

Also, as Judith Martin notes, the city rarely if ever allows a road to be
vacated unless it is only used by one business. (In this case, part of Grove
Street that would be vacated to link the tennis courts and D's current field
is used by the public, not just D.)

Finally, I find it ironic that Nick unblushingly let John Derus of all
people criticize island residents for being politically connected. John was
at one time the most politically connected individual around - and wasn't
shy about using that influence.

David Brauer
Kingfield
Editor, Skyway News and Southwest Journal