The smoke free ordinances respond to the 80% of the population that does not smoke and the growing evidence that tobacco smoke is harmful to those who are smoking as well as to those who are breathing in the secondhand smoke.

However, when you believe that any government controls amount to Nazi nationalism, then rationality is not at work in the discussion. Differences in views just have to be that, not the judgment that a council member is ignorantly promoting oppression.

The cultures of the Native peoples who were here, undiscovered, did not follow a Rousseau concept or any other Euro-inspired idea of who they were or what they did. That is the great myth: that Native people have been or could be objectively interpreted by those from alien origins. Again, opinions are one thing. Have them. But assertions about the philosophies and policies of ancient America are beyond the grasp of those who come with theory in pocket.

Best,

Laura Waterman Wittstock Minneapolis, MN 612-387-4915 www.laurawatermanwittstock.com http://laurawatermanwittstock.blogspot.com/