Mr. Halfhill has a penchant for taking statements out of context for his
own purposes.  He responds to my post responding to a question of why the
city should not enforce immigration laws when it enforces drug laws.  He
uses my post to make his points against drug laws while ignoring that my
post did attack drug laws as racist and unjust.  My post did not take a
position about whether drug laws should be enforced or should exist, but
did acknowledge more rationale for enforcing drug laws than immigration
laws because of public health and safety issues.  I personally believe
strongly in decriminalization of drugs, but that was not the issue in the
thread.  Mr. Halfhill does not seem to have respect for complexities or
nuances in discussion, but is just concerned with making rhetorical points.
 At the same time, Halfhill's suggestion that drugs pose NO public safety
isssues outside of turf wars caused by drugs being illegal is not
realistic.  Unless drugs were given away for free, there would be drug
addicts committing thefts and robberies to obtain money to support their
addictions.  Some drugs which are now illegal also lead to violent
behavior.   As with the unavoidable public health problems of drugs, the
question with public safety is whether more criminalization creates more
problems than it addresses.  I have not seen convincing arguments in the
negative.  Halfhill would do better to make his arguments without making
people into opponents who are not oppenents.

JOrdan Kushner
Golden Valley

On 29 Apr 2005, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

impact
> racial minorties far more severely than whites and their original banning
was
> fueled by racist hysteria about Mexicans in the case of marijuana and
racist
> hysteria about Blacks and Orientals in the case of cocaine.
>    There are no public safety issues since, if drugs were legal, vendors
of
> drugs that are now illegal could settle their disputes through the legal
> system and would have no more reason for violent turf wars than two
liguor
> stores now have reason to battle over alcohol territory or two corner
gocery
> stores to war over tobacco territory.
>    It is also unethical to enforce drug laws since the only justification
for
> making anything illegal is whether it hurts uninvolved third parties.
The