On Monday, May 9, 2005, at 01:45 PM, Michael Atherton wrote:

David Brauer wrote:

 Whether there are political aspects to hitting someone up
 for money is an interesting question, one I'll let others
 opine about.

Well, if you're hitting someone up for political money, then it would have to be protected...right? Doesn't political speech have even greater protection? Not that that many panhandlers are collecting political donations, but they could be. :-

Asking the general public for cash on the street brings to mind the idea of quid pro quo (or "commercial activity" as Mr. Atherton stated earlier). What does the giver get in return? Lemonade? Sexual favors? Political support? These seem like vastly different exchanges. Panhandlers don't seem to offer more than a story whether written on some cardboard or given verbally.

Licensing implies that a commercial activity is taking place. Yet we don't attempt to license junior's lemonade stand (or call in the Board of Health). Its caveat emptor.

Good thing too. Otherwise every summer the jails would be full of those too short to go on the big rides at the State Fair.

Laura Waterman Wittstock Como Neighborhood Minneapolis, MN 612-387-4915 www.laurawatermanwittstock.com http://laurawatermanwittstock.blogspot.com/