In a message dated 5/20/2005 8:51:34 AM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

A young man apologizes for his comments and your response is to try to  add
fuel to the fire. What does the NAACP have to do with whether what Mr.
Hodges or
Mr. Samuels said was wrong? I applaud that young man for having  the courage
to admit his mistake. I only hope that Mr. Samuels has the same  courage.
It's
time for healing.

JP:
You know Michelle, I have to disagree with you on several  regards.  Not
about your comments to Doug, but about a young man admitting  his mistake,
apologizing and having courage.  It does take courage to  apologize.  An
apology is
an admission of error followed by an expression  of regret.  That's all.  The
moment you add a qualification for your  actions, it ceases to be an apology,
and it becomes an explanation to justify  behavior.  Booker didn't apologized
for his actions, he apologized for any  "undue stress" it caused and any
problems his comments caused, while qualifying  that he thought Don had taken
them
out of context.  He never admitted any  error, merely lamented over the impact.
 This was not an apology, it  was a justification for his actions and and
opportunity to defend himself as he  did in the second paragraph.

I didn't agree or find Don's "big house"  comments appropriate because I knew
how they translated.  I believe he  meant them with the best of intentions,
but it was the wrong approach....and I  told him so.  But what I did was pull
him to the side, sit down with him  and tell him why I thought it was wrong and
that I thought he shouldn't make the  speech again.  I didn't go on a TV show
and make overt or veiled threats, I  didn't assault him at a convention or
community meeting, I didn't go on a radio  show or write articles.  I simply
talked to him.  And in a civil  society among rational people, that's how we
settle differences....if settling  differences is your intent.  Further you
lose
all credibilty to criticize  people for talking about the "big house" when in
the same breath you call anyone  "niggas", "niggers" or any variation thereof.
You cannot cast that first  stone while "sinning" at the same time.

I too am willing to believe that  both were taken out of context, however,
the difference is that Don was  attempting to utilize a poor choice of words
and
example to illustrate his and  his wife's commitment to the community as well
as what he felt the youth  needed.  Booker's comments had the sole intent of
attacking Don....as he  and other's have done consistently since he took
office.  Time after time,  I have watched he and his colleagues assault Don for
differences of opinion or  lack of information, such as when Target gave a
group
of African American  leaders focused on community development $300K for
business development in the  African American business community. Because Don
had
convened the group, they  accused him of getting the money to line his own
pockets and feed his war chest,  even naming him "poverty pimp of the month".
date, that money still  sits at the Minneapolis Foundation, where it always
has, while the group  deliberates over the use.

There is a difference between intellectual  discourse/criticism of public
officials and slander/defamation of  character/harassment.  While you may
consider both Booker and Don's  comments wrong, Don did not have the intent nor
the
focus on an individual that  Booker had, and that makes a huge difference.
There has to be a level of  accountability within our community such that when
one does wrong, we let them  know and address it appropriately, but the first
step has to be in a civil  manner, else we lose the ability to relate to one
another, interact, and engage  polite and respectful dialogue.  It's okay to
disagree vehemently, it's  okay to criticize and critique, but if you cannot do
it
civilly, if you cannot  first discuss and engage in respectful dialogue, then
you lose the moral  highground you believe yourself to be on.  I've watched
Don try and sit  down with Booker and work out there differences and discuss
appropriate  behavior.  Perhaps if Booker is really sincere in his regret, he
will  initiate the same thing and then the real healing can begin.

Jonathan  Palmer
Victory