I don't have a horse in the park board race or know the history between Mr.
Flaherty and Mr. Stone, but I know something about the difference between
press releases and payola.

press release n.
1. An announcement of an event, performance, or other newsworthy item that
is issued to the press.

Payola n.
2. A bribe or a number of bribes given to an influential person in exchange
for a promotion of a product or service

It looks like Mr. Stone published a press release about the incident at
Pearl Park. His campaign is clearly listed as the source of the press
release in the by line (not much of a "ghost release"). He also posted it to
the forum himself. Press releases are written FOR the media rather than BY
the media. (Caps are were used only for emphasis.) Whether Mr. Stone wrote
the release himself is a mute point.

Comparing this to a member of the media accepting bribes in exchange for
writing glowing columns on No Child Left Behind makes no sense.

A candidate who doesn't proactively promote their position on any incident
misses a great opportunity to help shape the story.

-Ed Kohler
Cooper