Subject: Why was Jason Stone prohibited form passing out his literature?
To: Michael J Flaherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mpls@mnforum.org

First, in the interest of fairness, I must disclose that I am a friend of Jason
Stone and am working on his campaign.

That said, I think Mike Flaherty's post about Jason Stone is unfair, inaccurate
and totally misses the point. The real issue is, why was a candidate for public
office, the Park Board, prohibited from passing out his literature, on publicly
owned land? This is a no-brainer.  I have no idea what the literature said, but
the fact that Superintendent Jon Gurban of the Parks  Board called Park Police
to restrict Mr. Stone's First Amendment's Rights is most disturbing.

What is Mr. Gurban afraid of ? Are the current Park Officials so scared of
candidates running for office that they have to use tactics reminiscent of the
old Soviet Union?

Clearly Mr. Gurban does not understand the role of the First Amendment in our
democratic society. If I were a sitting member of the Park Board I would call
for an immediate investigation of Mr. Gurban's disturbing actions. I might even
propose that he be placed on paid administrative leave while the investigation
takes place. But, I will wager anyone, that will not occur as Mr. Gurban's
actions, regrettably, seem to be the tenor of the the majority of the current
Park Board and is indicative of why change is so badly needed.

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED HEREIN ARE STRICTLY MY OWN AND HAVE NOT BEEN APPROVED BY,
OR DISCUSSED WITH THE STONE FOR PARK BOARD CAMPAIGN.

Dann Dobson
Saint Paul

Discover Yahoo!