This is the outline of the policy presented by one of the district managers recently hired by the MPRB Paul Hokeness. From what I could see the rules were made by the district managers to answer questions presented by staff at the recreation centers. I doubt that the "freedom of speech" issue came up but the MPRB does have an attorney, Brian Rice and he could have been asked to give an opinion.

New Business ( from the June 1, 2005 MPRB meeting )

Campaigning in the Parks
Commissioner Young brings this up now to have a standard set of rules for the upcoming political season.

GM Siggelkow when checking into this found that it had come up and the 3 district managers had set a policy

Lakes District Manager Paul Hokeness give the presentation...

1) Follow building guidelines and if questions check with district supervisors 2) Political Parties may use rooms other than the gyms free of charge and may pass lit within the room but no fundraising (fee if room is used outside of regular center hours or for gym) 3) staff is discouraged from voicing opinions on park property or on MPRB time
4) give facts/ do not offer opinions
5) use common sense  and if in doubt ask a supervisor
6) at festivals and celebrations the candidates may purchase a booth like all other participants but may not freely wander the crowd handing out materials

The fact that no one questioned this at the time doesn't mean that the policy is lawful. Commissioner Young was just trying to make an even playing field for campaigning. The fact that the place you will find people who are interested in park issues is at the parks seems to make rule 6 a little too much and Superintendent Gurban's response was overkill. For the record I am not a Gurban fan and I support Jason Stone and all reform candidates to the MPRB.

Liz Wielinski
Columbia Park

for more information check out www.mplsparkwatch.org