On Tuesday, June 21, 2005, at 12:16  AM, Dyna wrote:

R.T.'s contingent was about half the size of Peter McLaughlin's and you were probably the only one of R.T.'s much vaunted endorsers to make the parade. Perhaps after Peter outpolled R.T. at the city convention those endorsers are making themselves scarce?

        working for Peter McLaughlin and a better Minneapolis from Hawthorne,

You know, I just don't believe in spitting on the other side in these campaigns. I was not worried about the size of the contingent, the shape the signs were in or whether there were more t shirts or not. This campaign to me is about doing a good job in a very bad situation. R.T. has done that and he will continue to do it for as long as it takes to bring Minneapolis up to where it belongs. It does not take a math genius to tell us all we need long term solutions to long our term revenue issues. There is no quick fix for Minneapolis' ills. Some of it is of our own making, and a lot of it is due to the malevolence showered upon us by suburban and outstate legislators, and of course our maniacally ambitious governor.

I like Peter McLaughlin a lot and have worked with him since he first came to the Urban Coalition many years ago. I say hello to him every time I see him. I think mayoral campaigns benefit from debate and illustration of the issues. That's all fine.

But I don't like nasty signs stuck in car windows, bad language, bad treatment, and lots of anger. That does no one any good. While we are busy creating enemies out of friends and casting slurs across a one-inch gap of difference, the Republicans are happily making all of our lives miserable.

Best,

Laura

Laura Waterman Wittstock
Candidate for Minneapolis Library Board of Trustees
DFL and Labor endorsed
Minneapolis, MN
612-387-4915
www.laurawatermanwittstock.com