The Festival is now in its fourth year. It is an event that I originated,
with a lot of help from the community, as a response to the low level of
political involvement (as evidenced by the low voter turnout) in this part
of the ward.

While campaigning in 2001 I committed to working to educate people about the
importance of political involvement. Using my office to organize this
festival is one way I've tried to deliver on this commitment. Others are;
participating in political caucus trainings (both partisan and non),
visiting schools (both in the ward and citywide) to discuss government and
politics with students, and participating in voter registration and GOTV
efforts in low voter areas. My credo is, "those who participate in their
government find their needs best met."

There is a focus on youth involvement and attendance at the Festival. The
strategy here is to expose young people to political discourse and to build
an expectation  in these youth that politicians will pay attention to them
and their communities.

Pam Taylor writes:
If your office is already paying for this event, why charge anyone an
additional fee?

RL:
My office budget (which is no great shakes) contributes to the costs of the
event, but as I explained in an earlier post to this list it does not cover
the entire budget. We seek sponsorships from a number of sources. We have
corporate sponsors like Allina and Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. Individuals
contribute, too. Many festivals and events seek contributions and sponsors
to cover costs (like MayDay and GLBT Pride). Also, many charge campaigns for
space in parades and/or parks (like MayDay and GLBT Pride).

Different levels of sponsorship bring different levels of benefit. I will
ask my Assistant, Tiffany Green (now in her third year of doing an excellent
job coordinating this event) to post to this list the schedule of
sponsorships.

PT:
This being an election year, I want the budget for this event to be
disclosed.

RL:
No sweat. I will ask Ms. Green to post the budget to this list. Three of the
four years of the festival have been election years.

PT:
This leads me to ASSUME that candidates who do not pay are not allowed to
speak at this forum

RL:
As in years past, any candidate for any office from any party that attends
is given mic time.

PT:
Now with the bruhaha about campaigning in the parks...Do you have the right
PERMITS FOR THAT?

RL:
Park staff have been involved in planning since the beginning. I expect them
to inform us if we are out of compliance. This year does seem to have a new
dynamic regarding campaigning in Minneapolis parks.

As Fred Markus posted on this list recently re. this weekend's Pride
festival:

"Loring Park will have score of people wearing buttons, t-shirts, funny
hats, and the like,waving flags and offering campaign literature and
persuasive campaign dialogues to the masses...Does this escalate into a
matter of Kevlar vests, pepper spray, water cannon, rubber bullets, festive
plexiglass shields on the horses of the mounted patrol?"

Let's hope not.

PT:
Mr Lilligren, please CLARIFY

RL:
I hope I have. The Festival will be Saturday, July 30 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
in Green Central Park at 34th St. and 4th Ave.

PT:
See you at the gathering!

RL:
I couldn't have said it better myself!