Minneapolis has been assessing the property owner for repaving sidewalks for
years.  While I don't like it and can't see why it isn't a part of the
general fund, I suppose there are good reasons for doing this and it doesn't
happen but once every thirty years at least.

What I didn't understand was the 'administrative fee' that was tacked on to
my bill when my sidewalks were replaced a few years ago.  I was planning on
paying cash for the project, so there was no finance charge involved.  When
I called, I was told that the fee was to pay for the inspector to come out
and inspect the sidewalk before and after the job.  I pointed out that this
was his civil service job for which he was already getting paid.  What else
did he do?  And if my tax dollars weren't paying his salary, perhaps I could
get a rebate from the city.

After this conversaation, I suggested to some of my coworkers that the
Police Dept should take up this practice.  Just think of it.  $25 if a squad
to responds, an additional $50 if they have to write a report, $100 an hour
for any investigation there after (not outrageous since most attorneys
charge $250 an hour and don't risk their lives for you).  We could pay for a
small, well equiped army.

Anne McCandless
Jordan