On Wednesday, August 31, 2005, at 09:46  PM, Michael Hohmann wrote:

Perhaps our parklands should be put into a
permanent, protective trust that protects and preserves, regardless of
management entity or personalities involved at any point in time? A land trust for future generations. What lands should/should not be included in
such a trust?  Is this a concept worth considering?  Pros/cons?  Any
thoughts on the matter from list members, MPRB candidates??

This reminds me of the great foresight Beatrix Potter had to add land to the National Trust in the UK. The land trust idea is a very good one and I think it will work here. Thanks Michael for this excellent idea. Let's try to make it work.

When she died on 22 December 1943, Beatrix Potter left fourteen farms and 4000 acres of land to the National Trust, together with her flocks of Herdwick sheep. The Trust now owns 91 hill farms, many of which have a mainly Herdwick landlord's flock with a total holding of about 25000 sheep. This was her gift to the nation, her own beloved countryside for all to enjoy.

http://www.visitcumbria.com/bpotter.htm

Best wishes,

Laura

Laura Waterman Wittstock
Candidate for Minneapolis Library Board of Trustees
DFL and Labor endorsed
AFSCME Mn Council 5
AFL-CIO COPE
Minneapolis Building and Trades