It's well documented that speedy removal is one of the most effective graffiti
abatement strategies, yet some businesses and residents simply fail to keep on
top of it. I recently stumbled across what may be one of the factors
contributing to the delay:

A local convenience store along E Lake St. had been tagged for some time, so I
asked them if I could paint over it for them (big black bubble tag on white
wall). The manager initially turned me down, explaining that her landlord would
take care of it. After I explained to her that I'd do it for free, she took me
up on my offer. It makes me wonder how common this type of situation is with
both residential and commercial properties. Do tenants really want to hassle
their landlords to remove graffiti from their property? I can imagine that some
tenants (commercial or residential) probably don't want to make any waves that
could lead to a rent increase. Proactive landlords would likely benefit from
keeping their commercial properties clean, since this would likely increase
their tenant's business (thus, ability to pay rent), and increase their
property's value faster.

Instead, I think some landlords don't find out their property has been tagged
until they receive notice from the city. That's far from ideal for all parties
involved, including the tenants, landlords, and community members.

Vacant buildings are an even bigger problem. Anyone know how the city deals
with vacant properties that get tagged? It certainly seems like a weak spot
right now. Outside of that, it seems like the changes the reporting process
have had a positive impact on removal. I'd like to see it taken to next level
by allowing residents to document and email graffiti to the city using their
camera phones. In NYC, a guy named Andrew Rasiej who is running for Public
Advocate put together a site that does this type of reporting for potholes
using Flickr and Google Maps. Both services are free for non-commercial use.
http://www.advocatesforrasiej.com/wefixnyc/

One graffiti abatement tactic that hasn't been mentioned in this current thread
is the use of murals on frequently tagged walls. Unfortunately, businesses and
residents with single-color walls (especially white) are basically taunting
taggers with a blank canvas. Subsidizing the cost of mural paintings may be a
good investment of NRP dollars in affected neighborhoods. Offering rewards for
turning in vandals may also be an effective use of NRP funds.

-Ed Kohler

Tag Tagger in Cooper