Constance Nompelis wrote:
> But on the subject of the Mayor's visit, I do believe
> that candidates are supposed to be allowed to enter
> multi-unit buildings for purposes of campaigning, are
> they not?

Yes they are.
The text contained below can be found at the following link:
http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/211B/20.html

------

211B.20 Denial of access by political candidates to
  multiple unit dwellings.

    Subdivision 1.    Prohibition.  It is unlawful for a
 person, either directly or indirectly, to deny access to an
 apartment house, dormitory, nursing home, manufactured home
 park, other multiple unit facility used as a residence, or an
 area in which two or more single-family dwellings are located on
 private roadways to a candidate who has filed for election to
 public office or to campaign workers accompanied by the
 candidate, if the candidate and workers seeking admittance to
 the facility do so solely for the purpose of campaigning.  A
 violation of this section is a petty misdemeanor.

Subd. 2.    Exceptions.  Subdivision 1 does not prohibit:
    (1) denial of admittance into a particular apartment, room,
 manufactured home, or personal residential unit;
    (2) requiring reasonable and proper identification as a
 necessary prerequisite to admission to a multiple unit dwelling;
    (3) in the case of a nursing home, denial of permission to
 visit certain persons for valid health reasons;
    (4) limiting visits by candidates or workers accompanied by
 the candidate to a reasonable number of persons or reasonable
 hours;
    (5) requiring a prior appointment to gain access to the
 facility; or
    (6) denial of admittance to or expulsion from a multiple
 unit dwelling for good cause.

    HIST: 1988 c 578 art 3 s 20

Copyright 2004 by the Office of Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota.

-----

David Krewinghaus
Uptown