From: "Krueger, Rodney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mpls@mnforum.org>
Subject: [Mpls] Library and Wi Fi
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 11:32:50 -0500

Public and academic libraries across the country are moving quickly to step up their high-tech offerings with Wi-Fi (wireless fidelity) technology.

An added benefit of the Wi-Fi service is that it frees up the library's computers for those who don't have a computer or Internet access at home.

Many major library systems throughout the Twin Cities area are adding wireless Internet connections so patrons can use their personal laptop computers at the library

The new Central Library in Minneapolis will have wireless connections and the branch/community libraries are to follow.

The number of computers in the new Central Library has increased from the original plan of 180 to now more than 300 public access computers.

The new Central Library is about eight months from the grand opening (Saturday, May 20, 2006) and the project remains both on budget and on schedule.

Thank you,

Rod Krueger
Library Board member /  Nokomis East

  [Mpls] Library and Wi Fi
  Theresa Smith

  Tue, 04 Oct 2005 09:35:41 -0700

  I ran for library board and didn't make it out of the
  primary (great people, great field of candidates) and
  I really hope one of my talking points gets broader
  discussion: find a way to draw operations funding out
  of the Minneapolis Wi-Fi network that is being put out
  for bid. Certainly, the revenue streams have not yet
  been established and the network hasn't been built,
  but if the Wi-Fi network is connected with the library
  system in some way (content-wise and financially), it
  is pretty nice leg up into the 21st Century.

  Jae Bryson
  Tangletown

REMINDERS:
1. Be civil! Please read the NEW RULES at http://www.e-democracy.org/rules. If you think a member is in violation, contact the list manager at [EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list.

Minneapolis Issues Forum - A Civil City-focused Civic Discussion - Mn E-Democracy