209 tennis courts
 67 skating rinks
  5 18-hole golf courses
 22 lakes
 32 miles landscaped lake shoreline
 63 miles of parkway
105 miles of foot paths

    2005

396 sports fields (baseball, softball, soccer, other?)
183 tennis courts
 37 skating rinks
  6 18-hole golf courses, 1 par-3 golf course and 2 "golf learning centers"
 ?? lakes
 ?? miles of landscaped shoreline
 55 miles of parkway
 43.6 miles of foot paths

1963 figures from an edition of the National Civic Review by the National Municipal League.[*]

2005 figures from Park Board web site.

I see the protectors of the status quo over at the so-called "People for
Independent Parks" (PIPs) have accused me of all sorts of things.  Among them,
they write: "Park Watch’s view of our parks moved from the distorted to the
absurd when its founder, Chris Johnson, implied that our park system has lost
footpaths, parkways and lakes over the past 42 years.  According to Johnson’s
“data”, footpath mileage has decreased from 105 miles to 43.6 miles.   He is
wrong."

The numbers I posted above are the Park Board's own numbers.  No amount of
spin, no amount of hot air and no amount of lying changes the facts.  I simply
posted the Park Board's own numbers -- with no opinion or conclusions stated
(my entire message is quoted above), and the PIPs turn around and claim I'm
distorting figures and that I'm wrong.  The PIPs must be awfully desperate if
they have to resort to baseless accusations when I post the Park Board's own
data.

Which group, Park Watch or the PIPs, are trying to report factual information
to the public, and which group is dealing in dirt to further its own narrow
interests?  You decide.

*The 1963 figures are from the National Civic Review -- which interviewed Park
Board staff extensively to write their article.  "??" in 2005 figures means
those values were not reported.

Chris Johnson
Fulton